Pages

Thursday 15 December 2011

Analysis of Final piece “evaluation”


Since this is the first time ever to do a sophisticated model/animation I am most pleased with myself with the outcome of the final results.
My main character isn’t as perfect as I would like him to be, but using image planes getting the topology right were things that I did not do before so I consider this a major breakthrough.  I have gone far and beyond as to how my character is rigged using IK/FK handles,  blendshapes, set driven keys, constraining controllers to joints, and using exrpessions made me realize the importance of rigging (thanks for the different tutorials throughout the web and library). From the beginning I wanted to have a rig that would give me the freedom to manipulate my character in the easiest and most efficient way. The part that I like the most are when my character reaches his pocket inserts the coin in the slot and presses the button for the soda can, I feel the timing is correct and looks natural although a voice in the back of my head tells me I could probably slow the whole thing down a little bit, at second 10 (right after he presses the button) my character places his hands on his hips, now that I see the whole thing I think I the transition too sudden maybe a pause should be present between poses I don’t know it just doesn’t seem right. 
Moving on to the head close ups (13-17 sec), here I wanted to show the emotional status of the character from being curious to being sad to being angry. Again here I think maybe I did too much on the emotion side of things, I think maybe because of the 30 sec limit I didn’t want to spend much time on the transitions and ended up speeding them up.
Next parts are the screaming towards the vending machine which I like the movement although I guess I could choose more expressionistic movements (after watching it 100 times I keep thinking it could use a different approach), and the part where the soda can hits my character. The last part could use a little bit more tweaking especially when the character falls to the ground (some further bouncing/ movement of the legs could be useful). 
Worst part in my opinion is the soda can when it hit the ground, it’s completely wrong. The timing, its speed and the way it bounces all tell me that I should have tweaked those parts again and again until they were correct.
I may be too judgemental on my part here but that’s my nature, I am never satisfied with my work as there are always parts and pieces that I want to change.
I got really good feedback from Jamie I looked through my animation and realized the importance of a good storyboard. Also doing an animatic just to measure the timing of the whole project is definetly one of my first priorities on any new projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment